If you have been wondering how to streamline your capital construction projects, you have come to the right place. In the world of construction project management, efficiency is critical, and we are here to offer a solution. If your company is experiencing any of the following, you may want to consider getting a construction project management system:
You're still managing tons of paperwork.
- Sure, you may input some projects into your computer or budget information into excel, but without a central location to keep track of everything, it can be chaotic. For example, if you're still submitting a construction bid via paperwork, you may want to switch to an electronic construction bidding system to make things easier.
- Best Practice: Have a central source of truth for all documents.
Files are everywhere.
- When is the last time you had the latest drawings or documents for your construction project? If your answer was not instantly, you might want to look into software that can utilize construction document management, real-time information syncing, and version control.
- Best Practice: Have a central location with latest version of documents.
It is not easy to upload your photos.
- JPG, PNG, GIF, or even an Adobe Illustrator image file. Whatever file format you need, you should get it with no hassle and no question. Some construction management systems are limited to the types of files accepted upon uploading, and the one you are considering getting should not be one of them.
- Best Practice: Allow all photos to be uploaded and sent regardless of size.
Communication is haywire.
- The contractor has been waiting for a change order approval for several days now, the owner is out for a business trip and can't approve an invoice right away, and the architect has not responded to a question about a drawing revision. If this sounds familiar, you will need a construction management software with project team member instant messaging capabilities and role-based approval processes.
- Best Practice: Utilize mobile devices with native PM software.
There's no connection between the field and office.
- From owner to the architect to contractor and anything in between, the software you choose should provide a way for anyone on your construction project team to get the latest information on the construction job site. Logging your daily field reports or having an owner be able to approve a submittal quickly are just a couple of reasons why a collaborative, web-based construction management software is ideal for this!
- Best Practice: Use software that allows any device capable of internet connection used for PM.
You're unable to report on historical information.
- Statistics mean everything when it comes to gauging success. With a construction project management dashboard and ad-hoc reporting, you're able to see the status of a project and what needs to get done, whether it be overdue schedule tasks or pending budget items.
- Best Practice: Use reporting graphs that can be customized to show what matters most to your project.
You don't know exactly how much you're spending.
- Budgeting and in general, understanding your financials for a project are crucial. You need a software that can give you high level detail in the contract management of your entire budget from bid/buyout package to change orders and purchase orders to invoices/pay applications.
- Best Practice: Integrate your capital construction planning software with accounting, so you are always up to date with financial information and the financial health of your project(s).
By investing in a construction management software, you can save time and money. Take advantage of the technology that is in place today – Schedule your personalized demo with Projectmates to learn how we can help you manage your construction projects. With over 20 years of expertise, our award-winning software is trusted by owners with proven success in streamlining their construction programs, keeping projects on track and under budget. Today, over 55,000 users rely on Projectmates to manage their entire construction program from site selection through closeout.
If you are in the market for construction management software, you are probably looking for the right one that will fit your needs. Does the software you are considering possess these 4 key attributes?
A Project Manager at a National GC Firm, reports he is worried his fast track project may not finish on schedule due to an outstanding Change Order pending approval.